The Light Stitches Flower LED Pencil Case Kit is a KS3 textile and electronics project that uses textiles, conductive thread and electronic components to create a flashing LED pencil case.
The Flower pencil cases are made from felt and adhesive backed felt. Using the latest breakthrough in smart textiles, a conductive thread that looks and behaves like conventional thread is used with electronics in place of wires. The pencil case uses 2 flashing green LEDs for a visual display. These LEDs can be activated when the zip is closed (Zip acts as a switch turning the LEDs ON/OFF).
Large and small flower stencils are included in the class pack along with full instructions on cutting out all shapes.
- Includes all components and materials to make 30 flashing green LEDs pencil cases
- KS3 design and make project aimed at year 8s so it is also suitable for lower ability Year 9s and higher ability year 7s
- Due to this NEW smart material (conductive thread) connections can now be produced by a simple knot or sewing around the LEDs (Lights)
- No soldering involved. The thread looks and behaves like conventional thread with the added bonus, that if the thread breaks the two ends can be tied together and it still works perfectly
- Booklet includes all information needed including full 10 week scheme of work, lesson plans, and all the printable resources needed for those lessons and product video.
- Booklet shows in detail how to turn metal textiles materials like zips, press studs, etc., into switches
- Used by various textile consultants and due to its simplicity, and currently being used throughout education from Primary to University